The founding members of the museum decided that the society would be named after the large body of water above Masset Inlet, Dixon Entrance. Dixon Entrance is a named for Capt. George Dixon, among the first Europeans who came through the area in 1787.
Today, we acknowledge that there are many Xaad Kíl names for this area, from Gaw Káahlii Masset Inlet to Needan Gawée Naden Harbour, Tang xyáanglaas saltwater running through the south of Old Massett to Hl’yáalan Káahlii Bay at the mouth of Hiellen. For more information see the Xaad Kil Nee office.
Learn about the long standing tradition of boat-building in Masset